Tuesday 3 December 2019

Ghost - The Ultimate Tour Named Death

Sorry this has taken so long but as I often do after seeing a gig, I thought I'd write up my experience after attending a Ghost concert. I saw Ghost at the First Direct Arena in Leeds on November 23rd so more than enough time has passed for me to mull over the night and dwell on opinions I may have held right after seeing them perform.
First of all, let's discuss the warm up bands.

The first band to hit the stage were Tribulation, a Swedish Heavy Metal band with Gothic elements and a very similar aesthetic to the headliners in regards to stage design. Admittedly, I was pretty excited after hearing them for the first time. They kicked things off with a song called "Nightbound" which has some strong riffs and a good rhythm. Not only that but the band seemed pretty damn entertaining; the green floodlights cast haunting shadows of the band against the venue's walls and the lead guitarist was dancing around the stage without missing a single beat. These guys seemed like a worthy warm up band!
Then the vocalist opened his fucking mouth.
Oh.
...oh no.
He's a growler.
Every single track was delivered with a Death Metal growl, ruining many songs that could've been salvaged with a vocalist who could actually sing. Don't get me wrong, guttural growling is a talent if done properly (which it was). However, it's also good to showcase more than one pitch when singing. It also got a little ridiculous when the vocalist started talking to the audience in exactly the same growling voice. However, terrible vocals aside, the band had personality and their music seemed perfect for a Ghost gig.
Once again, the guitarist was the life of the party and I'd recommend watching some videos of this band performing live just so you can seem them prancing about as they play. I don't recommend the band until they shitcan the growling vocal style in favour of one more melodic but at least the evening started off OK.
Then the second warm-up band came on.
Oh.
...oh fuck no.

The second warm-up band were All Them Witches, an American Stoner Metal band that were pretty damn minimalist in comparison to Tribulation. They started playing "Funeral For A Great Drunken Bird" and I'm pretty sure they were still playing it about 35 minutes later on account of all their songs sounding exactly the fucking same. The same droning guitar, the same dull percussion, the same nonsensical lyrics and boring vocals. They also had absolutely no stage presence, often remaining rooted to the same spot where they stood for the entire gig.
Fortunately, there were some positives. The guitarist broke into some semi-decent shreddy solos towards the end of their set so they're somewhat technically proficient. However, it was all at the service of a completely forgettable, tiresome jam that apparently contained eight different songs. I would not recommend this band at all. Maybe their studio work is decent and maybe they're all genuinely cool guys but the impression I got from their show was that they're pretentious and tedious without being talented enough as a team to justify it. Ghost should've had this band come on first followed by Tribulation, as that would've been the more appropriate progression of talent.
As you can imagine, my experience so far had been pretty weak. Both bands had added to my belief that modern bands pick shit warm-up acts and I was already feeling pretty tired. It's also a bit of a red flag when bands pick more than one warm-up act, as it suggests they're either totally full of themselves or shit. I'd heard Ghost put on utterly incredible shows live so my expectations were already starting to seem poorly judged.
Then Ghost came on.
Oh.
...oh?
They were fucking amazing.

Ghost played a set of twenty songs over two hours and I can honestly say I wish they'd played more. From "Rats" at the start to "Square Hammer" at the end, they were electrifying. I actually recorded footage from their opening song and listening to it again several days after seeing them, I was still shocked at how similar it sounded to the studio recording. After the anonymous band of ghouls got the crowd on their feet with roaring riffs, the frontman Tobias Forge sauntered to the front to address his congregation. A while ago, someone asked me if there's ever been a frontman as charismatic as Freddie Mercury and whilst I didn't have an answer at the time, I fucking do now!
Tobias really knows how to work a crowd. He can flawlessly perform each track he single-handedly wrote and recorded but his movement across the stage and interactions with each band member are what really makes him stand out. There were many moments where he'd engage in some back & forth with one of the guitarists without altering the performance of the song or making it feel rehearsed in any way; each movement felt organic and mystifying to watch. As for banter in between songs, Tobias didn't disappoint there either. His on-stage persona has the perfect blend of humour and flamboyance without getting too sucked into himself like some Heavy Metal frontmen can often do.
As for the music? What do you want me to say, it was perfect. Absolutely perfect. The band nailed the material off Prequelle (what I was there to hear) and managed to enhance their older material to the point where studio recordings don't quite cut it for me anymore. Ghost put on quite possibly the greatest live show I've ever seen (either that or an incredibly close second) and if you can get tickets to see them, I strongly recommend it. Tobias is working on a new album and if that's as good as Prequelle, you'd be a fool to miss out on the chance to see them live. It would seem my "astronomically high" expectations I held were worth it in the end, although it is a shame they didn't pick better warm-up acts. Maybe Tobias intentionally chose shitty ones to make his band sound better by comparison, although that would be kinda dickish. Besides, I would strongly doubt that Tobias is the kind of musician to screw over the little guy.
Then I found out about the lawsuits.
Oh.
...ah well, they still kicked ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment