Thursday 16 June 2016

Shout Out: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Soundtrack

I hope you liked my write-up of the Uncharted 4 soundtrack as I've only gone and written a less in-depth version of that about a different game!


First of all, I should apologise for the lack of detail in this post surrounding each track. I admit that I haven't finished this game yet but I have listened to the free soundtrack that came with it and I feel like I've heard most of these songs in-game anyway. Sadly, some tunes I've enjoyed hearing in the game aren't available on this soundtrack but I'm sure there's a deluxe edition I can look for somewhere. Anyway, if you haven't played it yet, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is an RPG set in Medieval times in a world of monsters and monster slayers, known as Witchers. The game is mostly travelling, completing quests, fighting groups of bandits/monsters and playing an addictive card game known as Gwent.
Unlike Uncharted 4, which had just the one composer, this soundtrack has three: Marcin Przybylowicz, Mikolai Stroinski and Percival Schuttenbach. Also unlike Uncharted 4, a game hat blended two disctinct sounds of pirate themed music with a typical action/adventure score, the soundtrack for this game is well and truly Medieval. No electric instruments, no contemporary orchestras, just an epic and occasionally whimsical score that fits the gameplay perfectly. There's a healthy mix of dramatic and dynamic battle anthems ("Silver For Monsters...", "The Eyes Of The Wolf") and upbeat jovial tunes or soft atmospheric ones ("Cloak And Dagger", "King Bran's Final Voyage"), both standing out as highlights of The Witcher 3 as you enjoy the gaming experience.
Even some of the lighter tracks that aren't meant to be heard as you decapitate waves of Drowners and Ghouls have a sinister undertone to them ("The Nightingale", "The Vagabond"), perfectly matching the dark tone of the game. There isn't a single dull or repetitive note in this collection of music and all in all, it's an excellent soundtrack that belongs in this excellent game. Even if you haven't played The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, I'd recommend giving some of the highlighted tracks below a listen as it's a cracking selection of music if you're into your "olde" soundtrack. Maybe tracks 1, 16, 26 and 30 for a short and healthy variety?


1. The Trail
2. Geralt Of Rivia
3. Eredin, King Of The Hunt
4. Wake Up, Ciri
5. Aen Seidhe
6. Commanding The Fury
7. Emhyr Var Emreis
8. Spikeroog
9. King Bran's Final Voyage
10. Silver For Monsters...
11. Whispers Of Novigrad
12. The Nightingale
13. City Of Intrigues
14. Hunter's Path
15. Widow-Maker
16. Kaer Morhen
17. The Eyes Of The Wolf
18. Witch Hunters
19. ...Steel For Humans
20. Fate Calls
21. The Vagabond
22. Cloak And Dagger
23. Forged In Fire
24. Yes, I Do...
25. Welcome, Imlerith
26. Drink Up, There's More!
27. After The Storm
28. Blood On The Cobblestones
29. Farewell, Old Friend
30. The Song Of The Sword-Dancer
31. The Hunt Is Coming
ALBUM RATING - 9/10

Next week, I'll be in Whitby for six of the seven days so I apologise if I don't get a chance to post the next review. However, I have it planned so it's just a matter of finding time to write and publish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment