Friday 16 December 2016

Taster Session #6

Back for another post and this time, it's a long one!
Previous Taster Session posts usually consist of me discussing five songs from albums coming out within the year before ultimately deciding whether I want to listen to the whole album based on that single. This time, I'm doing something a little different! Since we're coming up to the end of 2016 and there are still many, many, MANY albums I haven't listened to yet from this year, I thought it might be fun to look back over Rock/Metal releases that I haven't covered on the blog and listen to singles from those albums before deciding whether I should visit or review them.
However, after researching album releases for 2016, it turns out there were actually quite a few Rock/Metal albums that I haven't listened to and would consider discussing on here. 12, to be exact. As a result, instead of choosing five to discuss, I'm going to discuss ALL 12 OF THEM! Handy really, as it means I'll be writing about one track for every month of this absolute 9/11 of a year (although not every track/album came out across all 12 months).
So without further ado, let's listen to music I should've listened to months ago when everyone else was excited about it!

"Lazarus" - David Bowie         (listen here)
From the album Blackstar (08/01/16)


Remember when Bowie died and everyone thought that would be the shittest thing about this year? Anyway, even though "Lazarus" isn't the lead single off the album, I chose this because it's the song that everyone talked about after his death. I mean, I can't think why, it's not like the song's lyrics or tone have any kind of connection to mortality and anyone who can find a link must be some kind of genius capable of writing the best thinkpieces in all the land!
As for the song itself, I'm no fan but it's not bad. It's gloomy but appropriately so and even though you can call it depressing or morbid, there's a certain kind of bittersweet feeling you get from a well written "sad song" that, thankfully, "Lazarus" successfully pulls off. One good thing I will say about Bowie is that his voice definitely improved over time. He didn't suffer puberty like other Rock vocalists but it became less goofy and more mature, although you could argue that was the result of him dropping the Ziggy persona. I won't be listening to Blackstar anytime soon but I do intend to listen to some Bowie albums from the 70s, the decade where I feel his music had the most value. Speaking of artists who wrote a few great songs in the 70s but sodall else...


"Gardenia" - Iggy Pop         (listen here)
From the album Post Pop Depression (18/03/16)


Jesus, I can tell you right now that I won't be listening to this album. I remember hearing this track earlier this year and being incredibly bored by it then but I still decided to revisit it here due to it being the lead single off this album. You might ask why I'd consider listening to this album if I clearly have a preconceived dislike of Iggy Pop but that's not necessarily true. I think Iggy has some great songs that aren't "Lust For Life" or "The Passenger" (my fave of his is "Billy Is A Runaway") but for the most part, his material is a bunch of wank; I'm willing to be proven wrong but sadly, this song isn't the evidence I need.
I mean, come on, can we really call it an Iggy Pop track when it's basically just another product of a Josh Homme project with Iggy on vocals? Unlike Bowie's single, this just sounds dreary and repetitive. It's not even a shit song that grows on you over time, I've had a year to take this in and I still fucking hate it. I fundamentally believe Iggy Pop is an overrated Rock artist but hey, if you like Bowie's new material then you'll probably cum over this.


"No Direction Home" - Cheap Trick         (listen here)
From the album Bang, Zoom, Crazy... Hello (01/04/16)


Yeah, Cheap Trick released an album this year. I actually listened to about seven tracks of it before giving up. It wasn't terrible, it was just a bit bland for me. Cheap Trick have proven they can release great Rock songs ("Stiff Competition", "He's A Whore", "Clock Strikes Ten") and even solid modern tracks ("Sick Man Of Europe") but this single is just a bit too average for me to rate it highly. If you like Cheap Trick's sound, give it a listen as it's an enjoyable basic Rock song.
One day, I might complete Bang, Zoom, Crazy... Hello just to say I've listened to the album as I recall enjoying the first few songs but losing interest after the halfway point. As for "No Direction Home", it's OK. It also sounds like it unintentionally borrows ideas from "I Can't Explain" - The Who and "Fly By Night" - Rush. Can you hear the similarities in the music or am I just going mental? I mean, I am basically talking to myself so there's evidence for the latter...MOVING ON!


"Thank God For Girls" - Weezer         (listen here)
From the album Weezer (01/04/16)


Yup, Weezer released an album too. I can't say I'll listen to it as I have next to no interest in Weezer's full albums but I do like some of their songs. This track's alright although I can't say I enjoy it as much as their more Rock based songs; stuff off Weezer and a few tracks off Weezer, ya know (can you guess the colours?)? As an outsider who isn't part of the Weezer fanbase, I'm glad they've still remained a Rock band and haven't pulled a Muse, Kings Of Leon or Coldplay.
However, their sound is a bit too immature for me. No matter what they release, it'll always sound like it should be played as background music to teenagers being dropped off at high school during the opening scene of a film about how hard it is to be young and plagued with constant insecurity and erections. Still, at least their music always has energy to it, unlike the next artist.


"Can't Let You Do It" - Eric Clapton         (listen here)
From the album I Still Do (20/05/16)


I remember being tempted to actually listen to and discuss this album in a review when it came out. Can you fucking imagine that?! Anyway, this album features songs written by a string of Blues artists and creatively assembled by Eric Boring Clapton. I'm not sure whether it fits more into covers album or studio album but this song is definitely a new one. I believe it was the lead single and even though J.J. Cale never released it as a solo artist, he wrote it for Eric Clapton. Compared to some of his other tracks, it's got a bit of life in it. However, it's important to remember that Clapton is recording it so as a result, it's still fucking dull.
There is one advantage to Eric Clapton's career; it's given me an appreciation of J.J. Cale, as I probably wouldn't have bothered to check his material out if I only knew about him from Lynyrd Skynyrd's cover of "Call Me The Breeze". I've heard Clapton cover that song, "After Midnight" and "Cocaine" and all three of them are shite compared to Cale's versions so yeah, screw Eric Boring Clapton and screw this album.


"Beautiful Broken" - Heart         (listen here)
From the album Beautiful Broken (08/07/16)


Fun fact: this song was actually released in 2012 on a deluxe edition of a previous album and compared to this version, it sounds like a cruddy demo recording. The mix is a lot stronger and the guitars are noticeably heavier, probably down to the inclusion of James Hetfield (Metallica) as a guest musician on this track. Again, you could argue that this isn't really a new studio album if it's just a bunch of rerecordings thrown in with a few new songs. However, what you can't argue with is that this track is great and much better than the original.
I'm tempted to give this album a listen if the rest of Beautiful Broken is this strong, seeing as how they chose to make this rerecording of a deluxe edition extra the album opener, lead single and title track. Whether or not I'll review the album is yet to be decided but I think based on this initial taster, I'm inclined to give Heart the benefit of the doubt and tuck into the rest of this record at a later date.


"Show Me A Leader" - Alter Bridge         (listen here)
From the album The Last Hero (07/10/16)


I don't know why I don't listen to more Alter Bridge, as they have almost everything that I love about Hard Rock/Metal. It might be down to the fact that whilst I think I've enjoyed every song I've heard by the band, I don't really love any of them. This track follows the same patterns, as I like the riffs and chorus but I doubt I'll buy the track as it's just missing something that clicks with me. However, if you like your Rock heavy, check this song out. It starts off with a solid little introduction that still leaves something to the imagination and remains strong until the end.
I haven't listened to any Alter Bridge albums yet but maybe this will be the first I check out, as I thought this song was good. If you feel like you understand what I like and dislike in Rock/Metal, feel free to recommend any other songs/albums by Alter Bridge via Twitter or the comments section too.


"Bang Bang" - Green Day         (listen here)
From the album Revolution Radio (07/10/16)


Right off the bat, this song sounds a hell of a lot like "Girl's Not Grey" - AFI, which is a great thing. Then, just like every other Green Day song that could otherwise be salvaged, Billie Joe Armstrong opens his mouth and it all falls to shit. Admittedly, he sounds a bit less obnoxious in this song but hopefully he'll hit Rock puberty soon and won't sound like he's doing this in between studying for his midterms. As soon as that happens, I'm all up for giving Green Day a chance as musically, they're alright.
This song's quite good and after catching a brief listen of the title track, "Revolution Radio", I found myself enjoying what I heard too (after tuning out BJ's voice). You know what? I might just give this album a listen one day. If I can stomach Guns N' Roses after realising that Axl's a terrible fucking vocalist, maybe I can do the same for Green Day. Mind you, it'll be a fuckton harder if they continue to remain a Pop Punk band unlike other groups from the 90s who made the successful transition into full on Alternative or just plain Rock.


"The Stage" - Avenged Sevenfold         (listen here)
From the album The Stage (28/10/16)


Another album where I'm discussing the album opener, lead single and title track. Fortunately, Avenged Sevenfold have a decent track record so you don't have much to worry about. They're going through the Metal motions to the point that they're starting to become more progressive (musically and lyrically with themes about mankind and the universe) and even though they're going through a Spinal Tap situation regarding their drummers, it still sounds like A7X. However, the fact that their song of choice to be the album opener, lead single and title track is over eight minutes long makes it a bit of a slog to sit through.
The band remember their roots and dedicate a minute in the middle to become Sensitive Avenged Sevenfold, similar to "Master Of Puppets" - Metallica in that there's no real payoff to the build-up. However, that's eight-minute Metal for you. I'd recommend this if you like Avenged Sevenfold as the music is tight and the band still have "it". I'm personally torn as to whether or not I want to choose this as my first A7X album and might opt instead for City Of Evil before giving this a try if I'm feeling adventurous enough.


"Brotherhood Of The Snake" - Testament         (listen here)
From the album Brotherhood Of The Snake (28/10/16)


I have a mixed opinion of Testament. They're often considered the fifth band of The Big Four (of Thrash Metal) and whilst I like some of their material, their albums that I've listened to (Souls Of Black and The Ritual) have ranged from alright to shite. Since their early days, their sound has become a lot heavier and their music a lot more aggressive to the point where they sound more like a modern Metal band than an 80s/90s Thrash one. If you like your Metal angry and powerful, this is good for you because the album opener, lead single and title track packs a hefty wallop.
However, I doubt I'll listen to this whole album based on this song. I might cherry pick a few random Testament songs if they get recommended for having strong riffs (think "Electric Crown" level of epic riffing) but I have absolute zero interest in listening to Brotherhood Of The Snake until I accidentally stumble across a much better song from the album that piques my interest again.


"This House Is Not For Sale" - Bon Jovi         (listen here)
From the album This House Is Not For Sale (04/11/16)


I was tempted to review this album but since it took Bon Jovi and Spotify two weeks to get the album up, I chose to ignore them. However, this single was released on time so I can talk about it here. It's not quite as energetic or anthematic as some of his earlier songs (even "We Don't Run" from the Bridge Burning collection beats this) but it has a catchy chorus, even if it does sound like JBJ was trying to recapture some of the glory from "Livin On A Prayer". The big question is does the new guitarist, Phil X, meet the standard set by Richie Sambora before he become a druggie tosser? The small answer is not really, but he tries.
It's a solid little Rock number, even if it does reach the border between Rock and Pop, but based on this song, I'd recommend giving the album a try...HOWEVER, I've listened to the first five songs off the album and can confirm that this track is misleading. It sounds like generic Pop to the point where you can sing along to "Labor Of Love" with the lyrics from "Don't You (Forget About Me)" - Simple Minds. I'm not sure why Jon's chosen to release Pop instead of Rock now; maybe it's because he's losing his energy, maybe he just wants to get into teenage girl panties again but what I do know is this album probably isn't worth your time.


"Just Your Fool" - The Rolling Stones         (listen here)
From the album Blue & Lonesome (02/12/16)


Last on this list is a covers album by a band who probably should've jacked it in about 40 years ago. Similar to Eric Clapton's release, this is a Blues Rock covers album which means it shares the additional similarity of being fucking boring, as demonstrated by this album opener and lead single. I can understand a band like The Rolling Stones releasing a covers album of old Blues material as a passion project, their way of saying thank you to the artists that inspired them (which was likely the main inspiration for Eric Clapton's album). However, this feels more like the band attempting to be relevant again.
It's had somewhat of a big release despite the songs being basic and dull, probably all the band can physically play in a studio right now. If you like Blues Rock in all its boring glory, give this record a listen. For everyone who thinks The Rolling Stones had a couple of decent hits in the 60s, when they were almost stepping into Garage Rock territory, but then became shit after that when they were releasing mediocre Rock music for people who don't know what good Rock is like "Brown Sugar" and "Start Me Up", avoid Blue & Lonesome. At least this song's short so it has something going for it.

That's all 12 of them! If I had to assemble the songs into a ranked list in ascending order based on how much I enjoyed them when preparing for this post (the tracks, not the albums), it'd look something like this:

1. "Beautiful Broken" - Heart
2. "No Direction Home" - Cheap Trick
3. "Thank God For Girls" - Weezer
4. "Bang Bang" - Green Day
5. "Show Me A Leader" - Alter Bridge
6. "This House Is Not For Sale" - Bon Jovi
7. "Lazarus" - David Bowie
8. "The Stage" - Avenged Sevenfold
9. "Brotherhood Of The Snake" - Testament
10. "Can't Let You Do It" - Eric Clapton
11. "Just Your Fool" - The Rolling Stones
12. "Gardenia" - Iggy Pop

This list can and probably will change over time but for now, that's my ranking of all the undiscussed Rock/Metal singles I would've considered reviewing for this blog this year! I have to say, I didn't really love any of these songs so it's probably a good reason I didn't review the albums if these tracks were considered among the strongest by the bands. Anyway, if my maths is correct, there should be another 2-3 posts this year so expect one of them to be video game related.
The other(s)? Who knows? You'll have to revisit to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment