Saturday 19 December 2015

Showdown: Cover Versions, part 2

I said I'd return to these posts and here we are! Last time, I compared covers and originals of iconic Rock/Metal songs in the Showdown format. This time, I'm going to look at ten Rock/Metal covers of Non-Rock songs before deciding which is better. To clarify my definition of "Non-Rock", basically anything along the lines of Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B or Electronic. In other words, genres that don't rely on Guitar solos, screeching vocals or any other Rock trope, even if they do use instruments popularised by Rock music.
Whilst I'm (almost) always going to prefer a Rock/Metal version, I'll try to be fair with the verdicts and decide based on reasons other than "Rock > Pop". Right then, let's get started!

ROUND ONE: Stayin' Alive
Bee Gees - A classic "Disco" hit that you'll either like or despise, as I don't think it's actually possible for someone with a fully functioning brain to love this song. It's catchy and it's got a solid riff if you can ignore the Saturday Night Fever aspect of it. However, since this is a blog dedicated to Rock/Metal, I won't spend too long talking about Non-Rock tracks so the bottom line is it's OK.
Ozzy Osbourne - That's right, the Prince Of Darkness has recorded a Metal cover of one of the biggest Disco tunes of all time. The most bizarre thing about this is that it actually sounds pretty great, even if it is very tongue-in-cheek. His voice fits the vocal melody as I mentioned earlier, the solid riff sounds even better with a bit of weight behind it. It probably would've been better if it didn't have the corny synth though.
VERDICT - Considering the cover is essentially a massive piss-take from the "Crazy Train" references to "I. AM. DISCO MAN", I do like the sound of the Guitar throughout this track and the solos fit in very well too. At the same time, there's something about the vocal/Guitar combination in the original that can't be replicated. Both are solid tracks in their own right but I'm awarding the win to the Bee Gees, since their version of "Stayin' Alive" is a far superior Pop song than Ozzy's version is a Metal song.

ROUND TWO: Word Up!
Cameo - A funky little number with a catchy chorus and great vocals. Despite being a decent song, it sadly feels very flat most of the way through. It's in dire need of some energy or at least something to differentiate the verse and chorus a bit more. Still a good song though.
Gun - Did you think I was going to talk about the KoRn version? I mean, their cover is probably a bit more faithful but it's easily Gun that have the best cover. They've taken an 80's R&B track and made it their own to the point that the Cameo original just sounds naff after listening to this. It's powerful from start to finish and that solo doesn't sound half bad either.
VERDICT - Obviously it's Gun as they've successfully done what any great Pop to Rock cover version should do; turn it up to 11 and get your head banging!

ROUND THREE: Tainted Love
Gloria Jones - I'll confess, I originally thought this was originally recorded by Soft Cell but it turns out their 80's Pop cover pales in comparison to this 60's Soul track. It has an upbeat tempo, great backing vocals and a simplistic yet foot-tappingly catchy riff. So now it's time to look at the Marilyn Manson cover, right?
Scorpions - WRONG!! I can't fucking stand Marilyn Manson's music and his Industrial cover of another cover can balls, as far as I'm concerned. No, instead I'm comparing the original to a lesser known cover by Scorpions on their 2011 album, Comeblack. It's not the best cover this band have ever recorded (I actually prefer their version of The Who's "I Can't Explain") and it's certainly not the band at their all-time best but it's a great Hard Rock rendition of an old tune that's had its fair share of covers. They probably could've improved the flimsy solo, though.
VERDICT - I really like both versions here. I would say both are great examples of Soul and Hard Rock tracks respectively but I'm awarding the win to Gloria Jones as I tend to enjoy songs with slightly faster tempos, even though the heavier sound of the Scorpions cover is great for headbanging.

ROUND FOUR: Smooth Criminal
Michael Jackson - Fuck, that synth riff is tasty, isn't it? Easily one of Jacko's stronger songs in my eyes (along with "Beat It") but it helps when you've got someone like Quincy Jones producing it. The funky Guitar in the middle-eight could've been less choppy and the string intro is a little unnecessary but other than that, it's a sweet tune.
Alien Ant Farm - I'm not sure if it's the sign of a shit band or excellent cover when you can only name one song by a group and it isn't even theirs. I'm going to be kind and assume excellent cover, as that's what this is. It's as faithful as you can get for a Nu-Metal cover of a Michael Jackson track and as far as vocals go, this band do a bloody good job of reaching MJ's level.
VERDICT - Another tough call here. I love the heavier style of the cover but also enjoy the synth effects of the original. I would also listen to both versions if given the choice so I suppose it's only fair to award both Michael Jackson AND Alien Ant Farm the win here, as I'd only be awarding a single victory based on something insignificant and not representative of the track's strength.

ROUND FIVE: Hard To Handle
Otis Redding - I was also surprised to learn this was the original, since the cover is arguably a lot more well known. This is definitely the more soulful of the two tracks with heavier emphasis on brass and vocals, along with less on Guitar and percussion. However, if you've heard the cover then you'll probably find this version a bit too slow.
The Black Crowes - A Soul classic transformed into a Southern Rock hit. Several aspects remain the same, such as the use of piano and the song's structure, although it's definitely been given the Rock Cover treatment of adding a Guitar solo and improving the drums. Vocals might not be as strong as Otis Redding's but the important thing is the chorus still sounds great!
VERDICT - It's pretty hard to be non-biased on this one, as the original is a great example of Soul music but the cover is a good example of Rock music too. I'm awarding it to The Black Crowes as I personally believe their cover has a stronger mix and actually has an outro instead of just fading out.

ROUND SIX: Rasputin
Boney M. - Another Pop hit from the Disco scene that I'm not even a little bit ashamed to say I like. Starting off with a neat little drum intro before breaking into a Turkish-inspired melody. The chorus is catchy enough to stay with you long after the song's ended too, which always helps.
Turisas - I wouldn't call this a well known cover but it definitely deserves to be! Unlike Ozzy's cover of "Stayin' Alive", this example of Pop Gone Metal doesn't sound ridiculous. It actually turns a solid Disco tune into an epic Metal track. Everything works, from the fiery lyrics to the Guitar melodies. Definitely worth checking out if you like Metal and the original track!
VERDICT - Another case where I want to award the win to both of them, as both tracks deserve to be highly regarded in their genre. However, I'm going to go with my gut and award the win to Turisas for being ambitious and fantastic with their cover.

ROUND SEVEN: The Safety Dance
Men Without Hats - I've previously said on this blog that "The Safety Dance" is one of my favourite Non-Rock songs due to it being catchy and merry without getting too annoying. There's not much else to say other than that really.
Status Quo - Vocally speaking, this is quite a good choice of cover song for Status Quo. However, musically speaking, it falls a bit flat for me. The synth melody from the original is replicated on Guitar but something about it just sounds off. It also doesn't sound like a proper Rock or Pop song; instead, it's a strange hybrid of the two.
VERDICT - As much as I like Status Quo, I don't think their cover of this song deserves a win. Men Without Hats will always have the greatest version of this song but I'll welcome any attempt from bands to try and cover it.

ROUND EIGHT: Feeling Good
Cy Grant - As far as I can tell, this is the earliest recorded version of this song. It's definitely more Jazz-oriented than Nina Simone's cover, which is generally considered to be the original, and a lot smoother than her version too. Whilst her cover allows the music to take a bigger step forward, both tracks have strong vocal performances although sadly neither song is to my taste.
Muse - Ignoring the fact that I'm contradicting myself by discussing a cover of a cover, this is one of the first Muse songs I actually bought (after "Knights Of Cydonia") and I still like it now. It's a faithful cover that doesn't get pompous or self-obsessed like I've come to expect Muse to do with their music, although I feel like I can't enjoy it as much now that I've noticed Matt Bellamy's breath intakes at the start.
VERDICT - It's very hard to defend the original when the cover has superior recording technology and a better use of each band member/instrument...so I won't bother. Muse wins this one.

ROUND NINE: You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)
Dead Or Alive - Yep, it's another 80's synth track! I can't say I love the vocals, which has that sort of wailing Spandau Ballet type sound, but the use of vocal harmonies in the chorus makes them sound a lot better. That and the Pop rhythm make this an enjoyable track to listen to. It's not as great as "The Safety Dance" but it's memorable and OK to hear every now and then.
Sweet - I was VERY surprised when I first heard this as I'm sure you will be too. I'm pretty sure they've actually blended one of their own songs (maybe "Sweet F.A"?) into it but once the vocals kick in and you can take in the heavy galloping rhythm, it becomes very clear that you're listening to a proper Hard Rock track. If I had to pick anything up, I'd say that the drums could do with tightening up. They sound a little muted in comparison to other instruments and with everything else that's going on, some powerful drumming could've made this cover something special.
VERDICT - The original is probably a better Pop song than the cover is a Hard Rock one, although I do think this is a great cover. However, I think the win should go to Dead Or Alive here. If you like this cover, check out the rest of the album by Sweet as they've got a damn good cover of "Blitzkrieg Bop" on it too.

ROUND TEN: I Shot The Sheriff
The Wailers - Fuck me, they weren't kidding with that band name, huh. The backing vocals sound like a bloody piss take, like something off the fucking Muppets. If you can listen past that, the music is great but the song itself deserves to lose infinity points for that vocal line. I mean, I'm not a fan of Reggae by any standards but Jesus Christ, this is painful to listen to.
Eric Clapton - Thank the heavens, the high pitched shite has gone and has been replaced by smooth vocal harmonies! This cover isn't really anything special musically speaking, but what do you expect with Eric Boring Clapton? I used to think that Clapton added the little riff between the verse and chorus (the only reason I like listening to this song) but he didn't even create that. His only service to this track is making it less shit, which I suppose is better than doing nothing at all.
VERDICT - Clapton's cover could've/should've added a little Guitar solo in there somewhere but even if it is a fairly dull cover, Eric Clapton still wins this due to how bloody terrible the original is. Talk about ending on a high note, eh?


I'll admit that I found it quite tricky to locate ten Pop/Non-Rock songs with Rock/Metal covers for this blog so if you've got any that you recommend, feel free to send me them on Twitter or the comment section. Bear in mind I'm only counting ones that have been released on proper albums, not Live versions that are played at secret gigs or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment